The McKinley Park Dog Park Committee is a group of individuals from the McKinley Park area who are interested in starting a safe, legal Dog Friendly Area in Chicago’s iconic McKinley Park, which rests on nearly 70 acres of Chicago’s South Side, on Pershing between Western and Damen
There are a number of reasons why opening a dog park in McKinley Park would be a smart move:
- There are no public dog parks in our area to accommodate safe, off-leash dog activities.
- Such a park would allow families with dogs to spend more quality time with their pets.
- It would reduce angst between dog owners, non-owners, police and park authorities regarding dog access to other city parks.
- This park would increase opportunities for residents to interact with their neighbors and help create a sense of community.
- Many dogs need exercise above and beyond human limitations; furthermore, many dog owners do not have a yard where their dogs can spend time outside, and leashes greatly limit the dog’s space and pace.
- Socializing dogs is very beneficial to the community, since it makes them less skittish and can mitigate aggressive behavior when meeting other dogs and people. Regular exercise is great for any dog’s longevity and weight control, and the overall effect of regular exercise makes most dogs calmer and better behaved.
Please help us create a dedicated space that allows our residents to exercise their canine family members and themselves as well as benefit the community as a whole!