The McKinley Dog Park is a legal Dog Friendly Area to be established in 2019. McKinley Park will become home to the first DFA on Chicago’s Southwest side, a wonderful addition to the park’s 69 acres of land and amenities. Nestled on the north east corner of Pershing and Western will be a nearly 12,000 sq. ft. space fenced off and divided to create a space for small and large dogs to safely play/exercise. This project has been, and will continue to be, volunteer-run so we encourage all visitors to reach out and get involved!
There are a number of reasons why this park is beneficial to the community:
- There are no other public dog parks in our area to accommodate safe, off-leash dog activities.
- Families with dogs can now spend more quality time with their pets.
- Reduced angst between dog owners, non-owners, police and park authorities regarding leash laws in city parks.
- Increased opportunities for residents to interact with their neighbors and help create a sense of community.
- Many dogs need exercise above and beyond human limitations; furthermore, many dog owners do not have a yard where their dogs can spend time outside, and leashes greatly limit the dog’s space and pace.
- Socializing dogs is very beneficial to the community, since it makes them less skittish and can mitigate aggressive behavior when meeting other dogs and people.
- Regular exercise is great for any dog’s longevity and weight control, and the overall effect of regular exercise makes most dogs calmer and better behaved.